Schools in 29 districts around San Diego County will be closed today because of several wildfires.
All campuses will be closed in the Bonsall Union, Cajon Valley, Cardiff, Carlsbad Unified, Coronado Unified, Dehesa, Del Mar Union, Encinitas Union, Escondido Union Elementary, Escondido Union High, Fallbrook Union Elementary, Fallbrook Union High, Grossmont Union High, Lakeside Union, La Mesa-Spring Valley and Lemon Grove districts, according to the San Diego County Office of Education.
Closures are also are planned for the Oceanside Unified, Poway Unified, Ramona Unified, Rancho Santa Fe, San Diego Unified, San Dieguito Union High and San Marcos Unified district schools. Schools in the San Pasqual Union, Santee, Solana Beach, Vallecitos, Valley Center-Pauma Unified and Vista Unified districts will stay closed as well, as will Cathedral Catholic High School, a private parochial school.
County Office of Education juvenile court and community school will be closed, as will the North County Regional Educational Center, North County Academy, along with HOPE infant programs and migrant education programs in the Northern Region.
Cal State San Marcos, which was evacuated because of a major wildfire in the hills above campus, will also be shut down.
By early today, this week's San Diego County fires had scorched more than 9,000 acres.
Parents and guardians who need to find child care for their children during the school closures were invited to taken them to one of 13 YMCA centers around the county. YMCA officials said free emergency child care for students in kindergarten through fifth grade would be available from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. today.
The YMCA centers that offer child care are:
- Border View Family YMCA, 3601 Arey Drive, in San Diego
- Copley Family YMCA, 3901 Landis St., in San Diego
- John A. Davis Family YMCA, 8881 Dallas St., in La Mesa
- Cameron Family YMCA, 10123 Riverwalk Drive, in Santee
- McGrath Family YMCA, 12006 Campo Road, in Spring Valley
- Jackie Robinson YMCA, 151 YMCA Way, in San Diego
- La Jolla YMCA, 8355 Cliffridge Ave., in La Jolla
- Mission Valley YMCA, 5505 Friars Road, in San Diego
- Toby Wells YMCA, 5101 Overland Ave., in San Diego
- Palomar Family YMCA, 1050 N. Broadway, in Escondido
- Peninsula Family YMCA, 4390 Valeta St., in San Diego
- Rancho Family YMCA, 9410 Fairgrove Lane, in San Diego
- South Bay Family YMCA, 1201 Paseo Magda, in Chula Vista
Read updates on the other San Diego County Wildfires here: Thursday San Diego County Firestorm Coverage.
—City News Service