A sheriff’s deputy based in Poway was among a group of law enforcement officers from around the county that were recognized Wednesday for taking drunken drivers off the streets.
Deputy Aaron Meleen made 70 DUI arrests in 2011, , when he was also honored by Mothers Against Drunk Driving as an Outstanding DUI Officer of the Year.
The top DUI deputy in 2011 also held the same spot in 2010. In Encinitas, Deputy David Toner made 195 DUI arrests, up from the 187 he made in 2010.
Other deputies recognized Wednesday at the reception held at the Town and Country Hotel in Mission Valley:
- Deputy Aaron Montan, Encinitas Station, made 123 arrests.
- Deputy Felix Santiesteban, Lemon Grove Station, made 85 arrests.
- Deputy Agustin Rosas, San Marcos Station, made 51 arrests.
- Deputy Laura Shands, Santee Station, 66 arrests.
- Deputy Kenneth Werner – Vista Station, 72 arrests.