Time to Try: A Violet Smokey Eye!
As both a makeup artist and a consumer, one of my favorite looks has always been “the smokey eye.” This sexy, sultry look can be created using many different colors and can evoke a variety of different styles. This season, makeup artists are experimenting with lighter versions of the typical charcoal and black smokey eye by using more fun, playful colors. The vibe is cool and the look is hot. Here is a step by step procedure for how to create a violet smokey eye.
- Create a base all over the eye using a primer. This will allow for the full saturation of color and a long-lasting application that will get you through work and into happy hour. Expert tip: A little primer goes a long way! Over-application can cause creasing throughout the day.
- Rim the eye with a thin black eyeliner pencil. Next, smudge the pencil with your finger or a small sponge to create a shadowed, messy effect.
- Using a blending brush, add a translucent powder over the area to provide a velvety finish, starting at the crease of your eyelid and extending up to the brow bone. This will allow your eyeshadow to blend nicely, eliminating any lines of demarcation.
- Load your eye shadow brush with your favorite violet shadow and stipple onto the lid. To best highlight your eye color, green-eyed gals should stick to eggplant hues while brown-eyed betties are better off with bronze undertones in their purples. Finally, blue-eyed babes should gravitate towards grayish-purple hues. Depending on the look you prefer, you may opt for more than one coat of shadow. Once the color is saturated, blend out the edges to your desired shape.
- Load a smaller eye shadow brush and complete drop shadow application on the lower lid and lash line.
- Line your entire lid with an additional coat of black or plum eyeliner and top it off with a few coats of jet black mascara. Expert tip: For an even more dramatic smokey eye, add black shadow on the outside corner of the eye and a light shimmer champagne shadow on the brow bone.
Kristina-Monique is a member of the Bellus Academy make-up department. Bellus Academy has been revolutionizing beauty and wellness education since its founding in 1993. As Bellus Academy continues to elevate the beauty and spa industry with breakthrough education and innovative business practices, it is no surprise that Intercoiffure ranked Bellus Academy as one of the top three beauty schools in the world in 2011. For more information, call (858) 748-1490 or visit www.bellusacademy.edu.