Beautiful dolls, young artists and a certain Wizard.
These are some of the choice options if you're looking for fun things to do and see with your family near Poway and in San Diego from March 9-15. You also can enjoy a Sunday hike or experience a dance performance by a young company.
Look for the kids planner each Wednesday, and help build it with your own suggestions and tips—just add them to the comment box. Even if you disagree with our picks, let us know. We want to hear from you!
Click the links for all the details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- Where/when: Valley Elementary School, Poway, 6 p.m. Friday.
- Why Go: To see 800 pieces of artwork on display and bid on more than 100 items. There will be art stations for kids too, including face painting and a sidewalk-chalk display.
- Price: $2.
- Where/when: Poway Center for the Performing Arts, Poway, 3 and 7 p.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: See Dorothy, the Tin Man, and eeeek, the Wicked Witch, all over again at this production of “The Wizard of Oz,” performed by the Missoula Children's Theatre and young local actors.
- Price: $5-17.
- Where/when: Goodan Ranch Sycamore Canyon Preserve, Poway, 9 a.m. Sunday.
- Why Go: Take advantage of the first serious hints of spring by enjoying an intermediate level hike hosted by the San Diego Natural History Museum's Canyoneers.
- Price: Free.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- Where/when: Qualcomm Hall, Sorrento Valley, 2 p.m., Saturday and Sunday.
- Why Go: Little girls love their “American Girl” dolls and here a lucky few will be able to dress in period costume just like their favorites. Others can at least watch the action as the models walk the runway during the “American Girl” Fashion Show, to benefit UCSD's neonatal unit.
- Price: $35-$100.
- Where/when: California Center for the Arts, Escondido, 11 a.m. and 8 p.m., Saturday.
- Why Go: To satisfy the dance fiend in your family. Hubbard Street 2, a dance company composed of performers between the ages of 18 and 25, will take the stage in the evening, and offer instruction during a morning master class.
- Price: $28-65 for performance; $15 for the class.