Can you believe it’s October already? We’re entering holiday season quickly, which means plenty of fun activities in and around town. Break out your mugs and Tyrolean hats and get ready for Oktoberfest this weekend around the county. Also take note of free and admission for kids during October. The kids can see for free!
This weekend, Sept. 30-Oct. 2, get out and visit numerous sites in Poway for some fall fun. There is a swing and big band concert, Tour de Poway, an informative doggy hike and a wine festival in Rancho Bernardo. The closest Oktoberfest is in our own backyard at a community church, so drink and eat up!
Get out of town for an apple festival in Julian or travel to La Jolla for an art and wine festival. If you like to get spooked, visit the Del Mar Fairgrounds for the first weekend of the Scream Zone.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: , 12730 Elm Park Ln., Poway, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Celebrate Oktoberfest with German brats and all the fixings, a flea market, craft fair, plant sale and games for kids.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 15498 Espola Rd., Poway, 8 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: See Max Weinberg (former E Street Band drummer) perform with his band and guest performers, like Bill Champlin and Mindi Abair. Swing and Big Band are the musical genres of the night at this Poway MusicFest.
- Price: $10-$42.
- When/where: , 14134 Midland Rd. # A, Poway, 6 a.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Choose from five bike routes to ride in this Tour de Poway event. After your ride, stick around for a beer garden, BBQ, bike expo and memorial service for Nick Venuto.
- Price: $12.
- When/where: , 16275 Espola Rd., Poway, 8 a.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Bring your pooch along for a guided hike, where you’ll learn canine trail tips, trail etiquette, pet disaster planning and wildlife dangers.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 13330 Paseo Del Verano Norte, San Diego, noon-4 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Taste some wine from California wineries, sample beers from local mincrobreweries and eat up tastings from nearby restaurants. Art will be displayed for viewing and buying and live music will provide entertainment at this RB Tastings Festival.
- Price: $15-$35.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: Menghini Winery, 1150 Julian Orchards Dr., Julian, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: It’s all things apple at the Julian Apple Days Festival. Feast on sweet treats, pick a pumpkin, play games and lots more.
- Price: $5.
- When/where: , 1111 Marine St., La Jolla, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: It’s the third annual La Jolla Art and Wine Festival, complete with beer and wine gardens, food, live entertainments, prizes and more.
- Price: $5-$10, free for military and kids 2 and under.
- When/where: Del Mar Fairgrounds, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, 7 p.m.-midnight Friday and Saturday; 7-11 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Take a haunted hayride, travel through the house of horrors, drink deadly drinks and eat evil edibles at the Scream Zone.
- Price: $15-$28.
- When/where: Private Estate, 5490 Calumet Ave., La Jolla, 5-10 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Come see a fashion show, put on by the La Jolla-based charity Heals2Heel. See designer fashion and celebrity-favored jewelry while you help raise money for the Angels Foster Family Network.
- Price: $50-$100.